In the Ring in New Orleans

Hello, this is Sara Gottesman, founder of Athene Boxing, Changemaker Participant and Alvarez Award Recipient! My progress in my business would not be possible without CELT and the Changemaker Program. I heard about it from a friend, Mel Barlow, who had previously participated. Hearing that I was interested in starting a boxing class in the city designed for women, she suggested that I apply. The program taught me to focus my plan on women’s empowerment, to set attainable goals, and to design a sound business plan to get there. Opportunity for funding was clear, and I was given feedback needed to improve my pitch to investors. Through working with Changemakers and applying for the grant, I have learned skills in business development, communication, grant writing, public speaking, and, in general, have a better idea about how I want to change my community. I’m looking forward to taking my business on the road next year as I leave New Orleans, and eventually expanding it to take women to tournaments. I would recommend that other students take full advantage of the opportunities provided to us by CELT.