Haley Burns on Lend for America

ImageHola Changemakers! My name is Haley Burns and I am rising sophomore studying International Relations, International Development and a minor in Philosophy. This summer, I will be interning at The Capital Good Fund in Providence, Rhode Island. This Lend for America-affiliated microfinance institution works to give small loans and training to local and low-income business owners. My time at The Capital Good Fund will not only give me real-world experience in microfinance, but it will also give me the tools I need to replicate CGF’s work. When I return to Tulane in the fall, I will be embarking on an incredible mission- starting a Campus Microfinance Institution here in New Orleans!

My blog will keep you guys up on my journey as I take part in this revolutionary and innovative approach to tackling poverty in America! For now, I will introduce myself and explain what led to where I am today.

So, I have always loved volunteering and seeing seemingly simple actions make a huge impact. In high school, I became increasingly interested in foreign languages and cultures which inherently meant my growing interest in world conflict resolution and development issues. My junior year, I attended The Student Peace Alliance’s Conference at Southwestern University and shortly after started my own Student Peace Association at my high school. My continual determination to spreading awareness of world issues brought me to the decision to study International Development and International Relations here at Tulane and I have loved every bit of it.

Since my first IDEV class last semester, I have become a bit fascinated by the Social Innovation and Entrepreneurship movement that is creating true change around the globe. I genuinely believe new and innovative approaches such as microfinance and fair trade demonstrate real, working solutions to some of the world’s biggest problems in a culturally and environmentally sustainable way. I think the world will soon come to realize that the modern revolutionary comes in the form of the conscious consumer. So, when I found the Lend for America internship advertised online (and also on the Changemakers newsletter!), I decided this internship would be a great way for me to learn about social enterprise and microfinance and also would pave the way for me to give back to the city of New Orleans.

I am so excited to be in a new city this summer and can’t wait to have you guys follow the ups and downs of my experience! If domestic microfinance sounds interesting to you, please check out Lend for America and consider joining my team in the fall! I will need as many people as possible to get behind my efforts. Think about how exciting it will be to start something so important and groundbreaking! If you have any questions about CGF, Lend for America, or my experiences, let me know!