Our Changing Climate

We have all read numerous articles and watched countless videos about the changing climate and the perilous situation we as humans have put ourselves in. The message the authors/filmmakers convey in their articles/videos is one that needs to be heard, but invariably, it is a repetitive one as well. They rarely take a fresh perspective or add new information to their latest iteration of climate change media releases. This is a shame because people who need to be taking action and have the capacity to make a difference are losing interest. That is why, when I came across Jack Harries’s video titled Our Changing Climate, I was hesitant to watch yet another video that says the same thing in the same way as the 100 videos before it.

To my pleasant surprise, Harries and his brother Finn took a novel approach to the climate change talk– they were optimistic. Obviously, the video wasn’t all unicorns and rainbows because climate change “is one of the biggest challenges that we face currently as humanity.” However, instead of staring blankly at my black computer screen at the end of the video with a feeling that I should start to prepare for the inevitable end of the world, because there is nothing I or anyone could do remedy the problems that are a result of climate change, I felt hopeful. I felt like there was something I could do. Harries and cinematographer Tim Kellner convey a message that needs to be heard in a well produced 12 minute story that puts a positive spin on the tired climate change propaganda. The story they tell is one that people will want to hear.

By Hunter Clark, Marketing Fellow