Where Does Bruff Food Come From?

Living in New Orleans, we are privileged to be surrounded by small farms that grow food sustainably and naturally. I know that many of us (myself included) find it difficult to find these types of foods on campus.

Sodexo faces a lot of national public scrutiny as a whole. Often, the public criticizes the lack of healthy food options and the treatment of their workers. But, this year on Tulane’s campus, Sodexo has made it a priority to increase the presence of produce that was sourced from local farms on campus. Check out this New Wave article and the video below: http://mountiewire.com/13712/

I’ve definitely noticed the increased availability of produce in Bruff. As a vegan, I no longer have to survive solely on hummus, carrots, and sweet potatoes (when available).These steps seem to be in the right direction, but we have yet to see how far Sodexo takes these improvements. As such a large company, Sodexo has the power to start socially beneficial programming, like this campus kitchen that donates surplus food that would otherwise go to waste. Who knows the social innovations that Sodexo could start?