Innovations in Violence Prevention

I used the funding from the Catalyst Award to attend a conference sponsored by the CDC, whose title was the National Conference on Health Communication, Marketing, and Media. I was eager to attend this conference because I am building a career in violence prevention, and I am specifically interested in using language, social marketing and innovative communication tactics to change the ways the general public conceptualizes violence. My research to date has shown me that social norms are some of t3372d8608056cb208122876c5df79157he most powerful influencers on both individual and community behavior patterns. Thus, changing social norms around violence seems to be a highly effective, albeit untraditional, way to prevent it.

At the conference I was able to hear from speakers for a plethora of academic and professional backgrounds who all shared a passion for communication and improving public health. As someone who has a wide variety of interests and a belief that intersectionality is the key to bold social change, it was reaffirming to see that many of the conference leaders and attendees also held this belief. I was particularly impressed by the presentations delivered by Rescue, a behavior change agency that specializes in creating campaigns that promote healthy behaviors. Their detailed discussions about the vital importance of first, segmenting and second, really getting to know, empathize with, and understand your target demographic(s) stuck with me. It seems congruent with the earliest stages of design thinking, namely empathy and define. It was clear from Rescue’s presentation that they are well on their way to perfecting behavior change campaigns, and, as such, throughout the conference they became increasingly appealing as a prospective employer.

This is an example of an image Rescue uses in its anti-tobacco use social branding campaign.

Overall, the conference helped me to further hone my ideas and interests around violence prevention, innovation in communication, and social norms shifting. I am excited to continue to reflect on what I have learned, build relationships with folks I met there, and share my newfound knowledge with fellow changemakers in the Taylor Center community and Tulane at-large. Thank you, fellow changemakers, for this incredible opportunity!